SELECT CONTENT

Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 Contestant - Spoilers - Discussion - Thread #5

Page 32 of 81 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 56 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 Contestant - Spoilers - Discussion - Thread #5 - Page 32 Empty Re: Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 Contestant - Spoilers - Discussion - Thread #5

Post by cantstopwatchin Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:54 am

If we want to be technical about it, Andi cannot be considered Jewish by a synagogue if her mother is Catholic b/c the religion follows the mother's line.   However, she could be raised with the Jewish principles and celebrate holidays, though, and call herself Jewish but, in the eyes of a synagogue, she wouldn't be.   That said, Josh could've called himself Jewish and it would be acceptable since his mother is/was.  

I think b/c of their backgrounds, they'd be very tolerant of a religious view they themselves might not hold to, so it's really a moot point.

We must overcome the notion that we must be regular... it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre. - Uta Hagen
cantstopwatchin
cantstopwatchin

Back to top Go down

Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 Contestant - Spoilers - Discussion - Thread #5 - Page 32 Empty Re: Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 Contestant - Spoilers - Discussion - Thread #5

Post by Ash2214 Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 pm

^ yes, and considering both Hy and Andi posted tweets back in December that they were celebrating Christmas in Mexico as a family probably shows that Andi grew up celebrating her mother's religion too to some degree.

Ash2214

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Sorry guys--I am not even going to get involved with a discussion like this.  :hidingchair 

Take out the word: Jewish.
Insert any other word from a race, religion or culture and you will get your answer.  :yes: 
If anyone has a specific question or interest and wants to pm me fine.
There are too many shades of gray involved with this and we literally do not know the lives of the people involved so it is very speculative. 
I suffice it to say if it were a problem Meandi never would have gotten involved with the show twice.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanna Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Kashathediva wrote:Sorry guys--I am not even going to get involved with a discussion like this.  :hidingchair 

Take out the word: Jewish.
Insert any other word from a race, religion or culture and you will get your answer.  :yes: 
If anyone has a specific question or interest and wants to pm me fine.
There are too many shades of gray involved with this and we literally do not know the lives of the people involved so it is very speculative. 
I suffice it to say if it were a problem Meandi never would have gotten involved with the show twice.

I'll just have to bring up your posts in JP's thread then. I jokeeeeee laugh out loud Fair enough kisses

Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
Carrie: What an amazing observation!
Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
~ Sex and the City

:dancingcupcake:

All the J’s all the time: #jash #Jo^3 #jaitlyn

#teamhannahB
Alanna
Alanna

Back to top Go down

Post by docnash14 Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Ash2214 wrote:Josh, Aaron and Stephanie were raised both Carholic and Jewish, but recently they were all baptized with their mom. It does appear from her Facebook though that she at least still celebrates each Jewish holiday. Also, Aaron is the one that has the tattoo of a cross and also the Star of David. I read an interview where he said they were extremely important to him because they represented both of his faiths and also represented each parent.  While it seems they're only Catholics now their Jewish faith is still somewhat a part of their lives.

The story I told earlier about the origin of Josh's tattoos, however, is accurate. I know he has something to represent each parent on each arm to symbolize the group hug. Perhaps it is their initials.

docnash14

Back to top Go down

Post by Iam4UGA Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Also the Aaron tattoo story is accurate.

"How careful I must be, somewhere a little fellow watches me." - Herman Boone - High School Hall of Fame Coach
Iam4UGA
Iam4UGA

Female Posts : 800

Back to top Go down

Post by janeh810 Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:28 pm

I am also not getting involved in this conversation, except to say that Jewish cultural identity, the definition of what Jewish culture is, is not as simplistic as described. One must take into account the very long history of the Jewish community and the forces that shaped it into what it is today. As a result, the Jewish identity today is one of a close knit community that, because of years of persecution, advocates strongly for education, charitable works, and contributes greatly to the economy.
janeh810
janeh810

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:44 pm

I am very confused don't all/most religions advocate education, charitable work and contribute to the economy?  hmmm

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by janeh810 Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:54 pm

All religions do. I am talking about Jewish culture and I emphasize "advocates strongly" and "contributes greatly".
janeh810
janeh810

Back to top Go down

Post by cindebugg Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Kashathediva wrote:I am very confused don't all/most religions advocate education, charitable work and contribute to the economy?  hmmm

Yes, and a lot of secular organizations do to.

I have a friend that is Jewish but she defines it more as her heritage than her religious beliefs. She is not a practicing Jew in the religious sense. For all we know this could be the same for the Dorfman's, or not. It really doesn't matter. If Andi and Josh make a go of this they have 2 excellent examples of how to make an interfaith marriage work. One plus, if Andi or Josh decide to convert the families shouldn't have an issue with it.

Life's too short to dance with ugly men!
cindebugg
cindebugg

Female Posts : 1469
Back to top Go down

Post by Hotmomma Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:43 pm

jP amd Ashley too they seem to make a go at it too
Hotmomma
Hotmomma

Back to top Go down

Post by janeh810 Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:56 pm

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comment. If I did I apologize. I am not Jewish. But, I talked to my Jewish doctor today and asked her about Jewish culture. She conveyed the culture's strong drive for education and good works and great contributions to the economy as a result. Not to the exclusion of other cultures. Nor was I saying that her culture was better than mine. I was saying that culture is more than stories and foods and things like that. I also talked to my doctor about the history of the Jewish faith, including WW2, etc. This forum opened up an interesting conversation with my doctor.
janeh810
janeh810

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 81 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 56 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 Contestant - Spoilers - Discussion - Thread #5

+87
motheroffive
Aunties_Love
emusha
Cecilia
livlafluv1