SELECT CONTENT

Sean & Catherine Lowe - Bachelor 17 - Discussion

Page 69 of 80 Previous  1 ... 36 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sean & Catherine Lowe - Bachelor 17 - Discussion - Page 69 Empty Re: Sean & Catherine Lowe - Bachelor 17 - Discussion

Post by FLChica Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:05 am

umngirl wrote:Where's the lie? He played for 4 years and was on full scholarship. That's a fact. He didn't claim to be an all conference player or an All American.

The ESPN article where Sean lied about playing for four years can be found in its entirety at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .

Here's the pertinent quotes verbatim:

ESPN:  How much playing time did you get?

Sean:  I played four years.  I played for Coach Bill Snyder.  But playing for Coach Snyder helped me tremendously...

ESPN: Was it your goal to get to the NFL?

Sean: ... I had a lot of success early on, but I had a terrible game the first game of my sophomore year...

There are numerous football stat sites that confirm Sean did not play. Among them Yahoo Sports and K-States's own website. Another football site, SBNation, has an article about Sean. It states that he "saw time" in only four games & only in 2003, with no stats. (For those that aren't football savvy, "saw time" means he was on the field for at least one play - even though he wasn't involved in the play to record a stat.) Source [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is conclusive evidence that Sean lied, IMO. I can't attribute this to TPTB having a storyboard for Sean or editing by the MBC folks. Sean presented himself to be something he was not: a linebacker that played for four years at Kansas State. IMO

PRIDE is concerned with WHO is right. Humility is concerned with what is right. 

** Tell the truth - even when it is unpopular. **
FLChica
FLChica

Female Posts : 1336

Back to top Go down

Sean & Catherine Lowe - Bachelor 17 - Discussion - Page 69 Empty Re: Sean & Catherine Lowe - Bachelor 17 - Discussion

Post by Cocoasneeze Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:42 am

Unfortunately, when I think of Sean, the first thing that pops up in my mind is his 'I don't condone....' tweet about Ben. And that doesn't reflect well on Sean IMO. It makes me think that he has appointed himself as the judge of other people. I would have loved it of Sean and Catherine hadn't jumped on the popular sm bandwagon and trashed Ben, but actually backed him up, or at least been publicly supportive. That would've shown a lot of humble character. Instead they chose the popular way that gained them more retweets and favorites. Jmo.
Cocoasneeze
Cocoasneeze

Female Posts : 3689

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:28 am

stuckinsc wrote:First, whether he played on field or not, he did enough to maintain that 4 year scholarship to KSU. Even if he did the bare minimum the schedule of a Division I athlete is no joke. He also had to keep grades to a certain minimum to keep that athletic scholarship. I will never criticize any college athlete, they work tremendously hard, even doing the minimum.
Snipped

Without knowing the requirements for his scholarship, nor his major, it's hard to know whether he had to work that hard.
My son was at a B1G 10 school and tutored athletes. The athletes were required to spend a certain amount of time in the athletic resource center with tutors. What my son noticed was that the revenue sports (football, basketball) had more proffessors as their tutors. So even though they work hard because they have to fit sports in with studies, IMO their schooling was helped tremendously by study table requirements. They were held accountable for their grades, but unlike a regular student, they could practically have someone holding their hand throughout it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang19 Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:52 am

stuckinsc wrote:First, whether he played on field or not, he did enough to maintain that 4 year scholarship to KSU. Even if he did the bare minimum the schedule of a Division I athlete is no joke. He also had to keep grades to a certain minimum to keep that athletic scholarship. I will never criticize any college athlete, they work tremendously hard, even doing the minimum.

As for his parents moving for him to play HS football elsewhere, welcome to Texas, it happens all the time. And Sean had talent, but the most talented players from Texas usually land at UT, A&M, and OU if not Notre Dame, USC or other elite programs. K State is good, but they are not elite. JMO.

Sean, IMO, was a golden child who hit college and suddenly realized that he had probably never worked hard and didn't transition well. JMO, Sean wants to take the easy way, the get rich quick way. He has failed miserably because of it. Maybe he has learned, only time will tell.

The difference to me with Sean's SM activity is he is nice and supportive behind the scenes and a jerk on SM. Be one or the other. And if you don't think it is okay for him to be a jerk on SM then he gets really mean, he did to JPG. Sean seems to forget that to live in the way of Christ is to love one another as Christ loved us. I just don't get that from Sean at all. JMO.

This is exactly how I see him. Misplaced ambition. Wants something for nothing, and always looking for a get rich quick scheme. If they're able to support themselves, more power to them.
Mustang19
Mustang19

Female Posts : 1192

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:53 am

realityfan26 wrote:
Snipped

Without knowing the requirements for his scholarship, nor his major, it's hard to know whether he had to work that hard.
My son was at a B1G 10 school and tutored athletes. The athletes were required to spend a certain amount of time in the athletic resource center with tutors. What my son noticed was that the revenue sports (football, basketball) had more proffessors as their tutors. So even though they work hard because they have to fit sports in with studies, IMO their schooling was helped tremendously by study table requirements. They were held accountable for their grades, but unlike a regular student, they could practically have someone holding their hand throughout it all.

For the starters that is very true. Those resources are not spent on every football or basketball player. I was a resident assistant for female athletes and my friends for the males. Even with all the help, their schedules were long and exhausting. It was not easy. I was a partial academic scholarship who did work study and the resident assistant job to get by and my schedule was still easy compared to my athletes. Managing to stay for four years even if his major contribution was as second or third string is an accomplishment, probably more IMO as they don't have people trying so hard to make them succeed.

I don't love Sean, I just refuse to devalue what he managed to do.

Not to mention, look at UNC, these big schools do get busted when they cheat with athletes and yes they all do, they just aren't going to risk that for a guy that barely played in a game. JMO.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by umngirl Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:23 am

FLChica wrote:
umngirl wrote:Where's the lie? He played for 4 years and was on full scholarship. That's a fact. He didn't claim to be an all conference player or an All American.

The ESPN article where Sean lied about playing for four years can be found in its entirety at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .

Here's the pertinent quotes verbatim:

ESPN:  How much playing time did you get?

Sean:  I played four years.  I played for Coach Bill Snyder.  But playing for Coach Snyder helped me tremendously...

ESPN: Was it your goal to get to the NFL?

Sean: ... I had a lot of success early on, but I had a terrible game the first game of my sophomore year...

There are numerous football stat sites that confirm Sean did not play. Among them Yahoo Sports and K-States's own website. Another football site, SBNation, has an article about Sean. It states that he "saw time" in only four games & only in 2003, with no stats. (For those that aren't football savvy, "saw time" means he was on the field for at least one play - even though he wasn't involved in the play to record a stat.) Source [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is conclusive evidence that Sean lied, IMO. I can't attribute this to TPTB having a storyboard for Sean or editing by the MBC folks. Sean presented himself to be something he was not: a linebacker that played for four years at Kansas State. IMO

Playing doesn't mean just games. He played football for 4 years years by staying on scholarship, going to practice, getting in game action those few times, talking part in any team functions, etc. and 2003 was his sophomore year so that fits what he said. I'd consider earning playing time has a true sophomore pretty good as not all sophomore play. And then he screwed it all up which he admits.

I don't know the exact academic standards to maintain scholarship at KSU but considering his coach was Bill Synder I very much doubt they were a total cakewalk. I was a manager for a D1 sport and saw what those girls on the team went through to maintain grades so it's not always the easiest. I'll never downgrade someone being a scholarship athlete unless I know for a fact they were cheating to maintain grades or someone lied to keep them eligible.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
umngirl
umngirl

Female Posts : 20215

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:42 am

The reporter asked about Sean's playing TIME, so Sean didn't answer the question. IMO a very sneaky way to make himself look like he was a regular player on the FIELD.
As for academics, I'll leave that alone since it doesn't appear any of us know the particulars about KSU requirements nor how hard his major may or may not have been.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:58 am

Wow. What caused this blow up after all this time? I usually don't get this heated about any of these people while their show is airing, let alone years after the fact.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by justrosie Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:11 am

What sparked my interest in "SeanCat" post Bachelor was a discussion at my workplace. Since the end of Sean's season I would read or hear something from him or about him that didn't necessarily sit well with me, and just shrug it off as whatever. Then they just had to appear on CWS. I don't know why, but it bothered me that he drove a Porsche after having a heavy hand in people losing thousands of dollars of their life savings. There are many other things. SMH Hopefully with the baby they will quietly fade away.

justrosie

Back to top Go down

Post by sosleepy Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:41 am

Fingersandtoes wrote:Unfortunately, when I think of Sean, the first thing that pops up in my mind is his 'I don't condone....' tweet about Ben. And that doesn't reflect well on Sean IMO. It makes me think that he has appointed himself as the judge of other people. I would have loved it of Sean and Catherine hadn't jumped on the popular sm bandwagon and trashed Ben, but actually backed him up, or at least been publicly supportive. That would've shown a lot of humble character. Instead they chose the popular way that gained them more retweets and favorites. Jmo.

yes Yep. Personally I much preferred how other past leads dealt with it. Des wrote a supportive blog post for both Ben and Lauren, Trista (and Ryan)  publically and privately supported Ben, Jason sent out a congratulations tweet welcoming B/L to the wild side. Even the non-successful leads, some snarked a bit, but NONE got on their high horse the way Sean did. Total turn off. He would have been better off just not saying anything at all.

ETA: because I'm just remembering, but Jillian (and I think maybe Ali too), but Jillian for sure actually wrote a blog post COMENDING Ben for being in the moment and actually saying what he felt when he felt it. Jillian said she wished she had done things similarly.

I just feel like being the lead is such a weird, awkward thing. Only 32 people really "get it," so they should be supportive of one and other and less critical. For the most part they do that. Exception: Sean. He's supportive privately apparently, publically less so. And forget it if you are deemed an "undesirable" ala JPG.

Last edited by sosleepy on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
sosleepy
sosleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by sosleepy Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:48 am

Sprite wrote:Wow. What caused this blow up after all this time? I usually don't get this heated about any of these people while their show is airing, let alone years after the fact.

I guess that's what happens when you keep yourself out there and bounce from one reality show to the next. It keeps you open for criticism. There really isn't much to say about the other successes, because for the most part, they keep much lower profiles. They all kind of live their lives separate from this franchise for the most part, rather than making being "the only Bachelor married couple" (debatable) some kind of career, or "brand" if you will.
sosleepy
sosleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by instinct Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:02 am

justrosie wrote:What sparked my interest in "SeanCat" post Bachelor was a discussion at my workplace.  Since the end of Sean's season I would read or hear something from him or about him that didn't necessarily sit well with me, and just shrug it off as whatever.  Then they just had to appear on CWS.   I don't know why, but it bothered me that he drove a Porsche after having a heavy hand in people losing thousands of dollars of their life savings.  There are many other things.  SMH   Hopefully with the baby they will quietly fade away.

I think this is a good example of how clueless and inappropriate he has been at times. Another thing that has always irked me is how much he always trashes his experience as an insurance agent, as if he was too good for such a lowly job. Timing wise, I assume his brother in law gave him a job when he really needed one, after he had crashed & burned entrepreneurially, and you'd think he'd have been a little humbled and grateful. His family has done well by insurance - for that reason alone he shouldn't be so dismissive, it's insulting to them!
instinct
instinct

Female Posts : 357

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 69 of 80 Previous  1 ... 36 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Sean & Catherine Lowe - Bachelor 17 - Discussion

+79
Al
Tiggerlgh
grace8136
Beach Lover
justrosie